CLU Career Services

Career Services will hold its annual Career and Intern Expo, Thursday April 19, 2012 from 10a.m. to 2 p.m.

By: Luke Atnip

Many ADEP students come from various different backgrounds.  With that said, some students may have numerous years of work experience, but have never gotten their degrees. Some may be seeking a new line of work or change of direction. In my case, already have a degree but want to pursue another field in a completely different subject. Whatever the case may be, it is important to remember to utilize all of the free resources that are afforded to you a student at Cal Lutheran University.

When I first started, I felt a bit lost and confused.  A year earlier I had graduated from Cal State Northridge with a degree in music with no real passion to pursue a career in music anymore.  I was burnt out.  I took a ton of online assessment tests to learn what I may be good at other than music and it turned out that accounting was always in my top three career choices according to the results of the career assessments that I took online.  So, I decided to take a couple classes in the subject and not only did I enjoy them, but I did pretty well in them as well.  Even though I found a new career interest, I was still cautious about adding more student loans to my already long list of debt, so I wanted some assurance.

As soon as I found out that I was accepted to Cal Lutheran, I set up an account on the CLU Career Services website, CLUpostings.com.  After uploading my profile on their website, I started receiving job ads for jobs in my related field of study.  I receive approximately 2 internship or full-time position ads via email per week.  Last year I decided to respond to one of the job ads and I ended up getting an internship.  I was still green in the sense that I had only taken two accounting classes, but I learned a ton and it opened more doors of opportunity.  No matter how old you are, internships are always a good way of opening new doors of opportunity.

I highly recommend setting up a one-on-one session with the Director of Career Services, Cindy Lewis, if you have any questions about what the CLU Career Services office can offer you.  Below is her contact information for your reference:

Cindy Lewis
Director of Career Services
Email: clewis@clunet.edu
Phone: (805) 493-3199
http://www.callutheran.edu/career_services/ 

It is very important to stay proactive in your search for a new career.  With the CLU career Services office at your service, being proactive is much easier. Best of luck!