Running Wild

Sprint At one with nature and oneself—this is trail-running California-style.

Surrounded by beautiful hills and quiet tree-lined neighborhoods, Cal Lutheran is definitely a place to go for a run and break a sweat. Some CLU runners like to stretch their legs close to campus up by the Cal Lutheran Rocks or at Wildwood Park, an area of excellent trails, open grassland, elevation gains, and views for miles in every direction. Others prefer a flatter paved course—perhaps one that winds through local neighborhoods and ends up at Starbucks just in time for post-run iced coffee. Either way, hitting a trail before class starts or after an afternoon of studying is easy and always fun.And senior Toccoa Kahovec, captain of the Regals Cross Country team, adds, “The best thing about running at CLU is that I feel safe.”

View our map of running trails around campus.

My favorite trail to run is Santa Rosa because of the beautiful sights and it feels so secluded. It begins inWildwood Park and ends right behind CLU. And the views are amazing.You can see all of Thousand Oaks and Camarillo.

- Evan Reed, Senior
Hometown: Buellton, Ca
Major: Mathematics

I love to run on the Woken Walk trail by the baseball and softball fields because it is flat and you can look out at the pretty mountains surrounding Thousand Oaks. If I run early enough I get to watch the sunrise from one mountain and if I run late enough I get to watch the sunset behind the mountains on the other side.

- Toccoa Kahovec, Senior
Hometown: Saugus, Ca
Major: Liberal Studies