Tenor’s debut CD boosted by alums, donors

November 13, 2012 — Alumni News

Ryan Townsend Strand ’12

For his first album, Ryan Townsend Strand ’12 received a lot of help from his friends, and some more from strangers. Mending Split Seconds, which incorporates songs Strand first sang at his senior recital at CLU, blends the classic with the contemporary, in two cycles of songs on separate themes.

The first cycle, “Songs of Travel” by composer Vaughan Williams, features Jessica Helms ’04 on piano, and the second, “Mending Split Seconds,” consists of specially commissioned work by composer Skyler Butenshon ’11. Sarah Behymer ’12 served as the audio engineer at the studio with the responsibilities of recording and mixing the music.

Strand raised funds for the project through a 45-day campaign on the website Kickstarter.

“Producing the CD was a great experience – especially being able to work on a professional album with friends of mine. I devoted my whole summer to the project, finding the studio to rent, seeing that the pianos were tuned and recording the music. And I had to start my own publishing company with ASCAP. I learned a lot about the recording industry. Now I understand why artists don’t do it themselves!” said

Strand, referring to promotion and marketing.

Strand majored in vocal performance and music education at CLU and is now pursuing his master’s degree in vocal performance at Northwestern University. He wants to collaborate again with composers of contemporary classical vocal music as a tenor soloist.

Alumni who wish to purchase the CD can find it on Amazon and iTunes.

“The music you will hear is timeless, and the emotions that are invoked can connect with people of all musical backgrounds,” said Strand.

Tags: