This is not a day of happiness, but of respect, honor, and grief.

It is a day of thanks, thanks given to those who sacrificed so much, and it is a day of reflection, reflection on the many great things we enjoy because of those sacrifices.

It’s also a day to consider again our priorities, the things that we fight for and the things we choose to ignore, our values and our vices, our noble battles and our petty, selfish squabbles.

Patriotism is not about saber rattling, boastful roars of “we’re number one,” or arrogant attitudes suggesting ours is the only “right” way to do things.

Instead, it’s about love of country, willingness to serve, and respect.

I’m a patriot in my own quiet way, proud of those who stood up for what’s right, even when they’ve been opposed by tyrants in power (our own as well as others).

I’m proud of, and thankful for, all those who have sacrificed their daily lives and their mortal lives in our defense.

It grieves me when our warrior youths are wasted in vengeful exercise, but I am honored that they serve on our behalf, that they will be there when needed, despite the many hardships and dangers they face.

I have no special plans for Memorial Day, except to remember those who have fallen, and to be thankful for their courage and sacrifice.

Perhaps you’ll take a moment to do the same.

No comments