Evangeline Dai

February 25, 2021

-Lenten Devotions

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 8.54.40 AM

Transcription of Video Below:

[Spanish]

Que todo lo que soy, alabe al señor

Con mi corazón

De tu grande amor, cantaré

Tu nombre alabaré

Y en ese día cuando ya no tenga fuerza | Y se acerque tu gloria | Mi alma cantará de tu amor sin final | Diez mil años y para siempre más If you are a Christian or have been around Christians, you may have heard this song before. It is popular, and has been translated into different languages. But do you know where the lyrics were inspired from? The first line of thing song reminds me of Psalm 103.

[English]

Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul

worship God’s holy name 

Sing like never before O my soul

I’ll worship your holy name

[Taiwanese]日頭出來  全新一工臨到擱是向你唱歌啲時準無論會怎樣  有什麼阻擋在頭前當日頭落山我猶原唱歌 Today, I am reflecting on Psalm 103:1-6, “Thanksgiving for God’s Goodness Of David.” Do you know Christians share Psalms with the Jewish tradition and Islamic tradition? Sometimes we divide people into different categories by our own understandings, and we do not see we have more in common than we thought.

謳咾主
我啲心 我啲靈

敬拜你聖尊名

用全心來唱歌 我心靈

敬拜你啲聖尊名

[Chinese Mandarin]慈爱丰盛 祢不轻易发怒祢名宏伟 祢心和善我愿为祢恩典 歌颂赞美直到永远一万个理由让我心向祢 In the song, we praise God. As God forgives us our iniquities, there is no more guilt and shame; we become a new person, being faithful to God, and loving others.

赞美主
我的灵 我的灵

敬拜祂的圣名

从未如此用心 我的灵

我敬拜祢的圣名

[Japanese]よわって たてなくなりおわりが せまるころまだわたしは うたうだろうえいえんに やまぬ さんびを God heals. In the COVID-19 pandemic, we pray for healing more than we ever did. When the entire world is suffering through the disease, we asked God, “where are you?”God is loving and merciful, even when we have doubts.

しゅをたたえよ たましいよ

せいなるなを

こころ  すべて ささげ さんびします

[English] And on that dayWhen my strength is failingThe end draws near

And my time has come

Still my soul will

Sing Your praise unending

Ten thousand years

And then forevermore

Forevermore

God wants us to be well. God wants us to have dignity.God wants us to work for justice for all who are oppressed.

Who are the oppressed?

Are you one of them? 

Or are you the oppressor that you don’t even know?

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and do not forget all his benefits—who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the Pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good as long as you live so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The Lord works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed.

Psalm 103: 1-6

[English]

Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul

worship God’s holy name 

Sing like never before O my soul

I’ll worship your holy name

Let us pray.

Loving and merciful God, strengthen us and renew us, so we will be able to work justice for the oppressed. Lead and guide us to repent our sins, and transform our hearts. May we give as we are able to give. May we love one another as we are eager to be loved. May we remember your bountiful providence, and give you thanks. May we praise your holy name, forever and ever. Amen.

- Evangeline Dai (She/Her/Hers)
Aka: Yu-Jen Dai 戴佑真
MDiv ’22, PLTS of Cal Lutheran
Candidate of Word and Sacrament Ministry, TX-LA Gulf Coast Synod ELCA

Univ Chapel 202021 theme (2)