Churches and Online Social Networks

Posted by pwitman - February 27, 2009

This study will investigate the impact of online social networks for church members on those members’ levels of engagement in the life of the church. Specifically, we hope to determine how and whether social networks for the church, including online calendars, discussion boards, and the like, might contribute to behaviors such as greater involvement in church activities including worship, small groups, and volunteer leadership roles. Additionally, we will examine whether use of such tools also contributes to higher levels of giving, either to specific requests or to the routine fund raising of the church. Research hypotheses and a research methodology are proposed, along with directions for future research.

In:

1. John Rodi says:

Hi, I am Cheryl Rodi’s husband and she referred me to your blog on Churches and Online Social Networks. I am currently on the Vestry of St. Gregory’s Episcopal Church (governing board) if you are not familiar with Episcopal governance.
    I am very interested in some of the issues that you mentioned and during my current ministry I have worked with other Vestry members and members of the parish regarding church activities and how to motivate members to participate more in the church. If you are interested I have the title of a couple of books that you might find of interest.