There is no one size fits all answer to technology. There are areas that everyone can get better in. A little bit helps in every way, and it all adds up both for the people using it and the people seeing it on the other side. I know we want to be the best university we can, and I don’t think people know what to ask for or really what they need. I hope this will help.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dSlxRKfqH-EWZgEOgwFdwofm1RKXFG1a/view?usp=sharing

My intro link about tech and necessary steps.

Links I talk about in the video.

Headphones or headsets (in-ear, on-ear, or over-the-ear)

All headphones and headsets can become uncomfortable when worn for an extended duration. Professional headsets are designed to be more comfortable over longer usage, whereas in-ear wireless headphones work well for shorter durations. If it’s under a few hours a week, small in-ear wireless headphones may be sufficient, like Apple iPods, Google Pixel Buds, or Jabra Elite earbuds. If you need longer durations, unified communications (UC) headsets from Jabra, Logitech, Sennheiser, or Plantronics could be better. My recommendations in order of range are:

• Wired: Most reliable, least range
  • Bluetooth: Most consumer devices are Class 2 with a maximum range of 33 feet
  • 2.4GHz wireless: Frequently seen in gaming headsets, with a maximum range around 50 feet
  • DECT: Frequently seen wireless phone systems, with a maximum range above 300 feet

All wireless range decreases by obstructions (walls, windows, floors, etc.). Wireless devices of the same type use the same frequencies, which is a limited pool, which can cause interference.

Other Best Practices and General information 

The links above do a pretty good job of covering video conferencing best practices.

Bandwidth:

If your Zoom video keeps freezing or audio drops, it’s possible you’re experiencing wireless interference and not bandwidth issues, try wired networking to see if the issue resolves.

Electricity. Since working from home, intermittent power outages can be frustrating, as they impact productivity. To work around this, I have my Internet router and computer powered by an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). My purpose for a UPS is to cover short outages.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions.

Andrea Heilman
Assistant Professor
Theatre Arts Department

Other useful resources to consider:

SOM_FHome_16x9_ZoomBackgrnd_PNG-01 SOM_FHome_16x9_ZoomBackgrnd_2-01[1]

Financial Planning Faculty Specific Training resources: